Skip to main content

The Pain With No Name III (Self-Gathering)

This gift of an assurance of being and (more importantly) remaining a lover can only exceed any other certainty that I may ever receive. Not that this assurance is the originary reason for loving first, for as we have said, love loves because of love--it is its own ratio sui. But this assurance, initiated by my self and aimed at the other, far outweighs any other certainty that I can muster up on my own or receive from the outside. That I am able to think, and that this establishes my right and place in the realm of being or in the metaphysics of existence, can never compare to the assurance that the certainty of my love can give me. I can forget to think, or that I exist, as I lose myself to the ways and workings of the world; ordinary experience shows me being lost in the world, forgetting myself, losing myself in the constant transactions that the workaday world requires of me. Lost, alone and buried in the world--how can I still say without betraying myself that I still truly am or that I exist? But my advance to the other, whether or not she loves me, assures me of an elsewhere which situates my place, opens up a spectrum of time wherein or within I have a chance to love. In fact, no other experience than loving--wanting to or actually making it--can make me feel that I am, that I am truly alive, not merely as an existing being like the mineral or the animal, but a being which no longer delights in its own fact of existence, but enjoys the possibilities that the other who is elsewhere and whom I love brings. This can be verified with the ordinary experiences that the lover undergoes: the lover finds a meaning which is outside himself around which every other contingent thing takes as reference and signification ("Now things seem to fall into place"); the lover sees new reason to face a day as every new sunrise brings with it the possibility of loving anew and more ("I can't wait for tomorrow"); he suddenly but unexpectedly feels beside himself (his old ugly, solitary self), able to once again see a new face on the mirror--a renewed face--one that is now newly presented and made presentable, if not only for the fact that this face experiences itself finally seen by an other, which makes him become self-conscious--aware of himself--and thus, now made worthy of a beauty heretofore unimagined, transformed into a more beautiful self ("I feel handsome" or "I feel beautiful"). That I exist: this no longer can satisy me if existing means being a being in the same manner that the plant or a god has being. For this existence to become meaningful, for this wanderer to finally have sense and direction, for this being to become rescued from the pesky question that the vanity of existence asks ("So what if you exist?"), I would thus have to elevate myself to the rank of a lover who loves because anything short of that would leave me uncertain if this life is worth living. "To be or not to be" is thus no longer the question; it is whether I love or do not love which decides everything--most of all, it decides my own self. That I exist only certifies me of being; that I love assures me of meaning.

And, when the thick haze of darkness sets upon a man who faces the possibility of death by his own hands, which, if asked, would assure him against the assault of the absurdity of the world: that he exists?--but this is exactly what he wants to end--or is there still a possibility to love (and perhaps be loved)? Which, I ask, when it comes down to the bottom of it, when it is a question of settling the accounts, would allow me to hold on to life or let go of it? That I live? Or that I love?


To be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fields of Amorsolo

The first National Artist in Philippine history, referred to warmly as the “Grand Old Man of Philippine Art,” Fernando Amorsolo (1892–1972) still stands today as a looming figure in Philippine art responsible for being one of the artists who helped define what we up to now visually imagine as essentially Filipino. The images of rural life, of golden fields below clear blue, blue skies; the smiles of farmers which diminish their weariness as they plant, harvest, and winnow rice;most especially the iconic figure of the Filipina maiden working in the fields—the beloved dalagang bukid--; these, I believe, even after generations of Filipino painters since Amorsolo, have remained in our hearts and memory. Amorsolo did what great masters do for their country: bestow upon it its own icons, represent its native beauty, that is, to give its people and lands an identity and a face. There are, however, as many intentions for art as there are works of art. And these intentions will always remain in…

Without Why (The Rose) II

Lifetime is a child at play; moving pieces in a game.
Kingship belongs to the child.

Heraclitus, Fragment 52


The child at play never asks itself why it plays. The child just plays; and if it could, it will play as long as possible, it will play throughout its life. See its delight and witness its smile.

If it would never go hungry or if the sun would never set it too will never leave its playmates and playthings. Time flies at play because it stops or suspends time. Time -- as we grownups only know too well -- is the culprit for order, schedules and priorities; yet for the child, there is no time, there is only bottomless play. It is we who impose that this or that should be done at this or that time. We stop the absurd and supposedly endless play ("He does nothing but play") because we insist that discipline, order and priorities be instilled in the child at an early age ("He needs to learn other things beside playing"). So that the child will become like us one da…

A Love Sooner than Later

BROWN PENNY William Butler YeatsI whispered, 'I am too young,' And then, 'I am old enough'; Wherefore I threw a penny To find out if I might love. 'Go and love, go and love, young man, If the lady be young and fair.' Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny, I am looped in the loops of her hair. O love is the crooked thing, There is nobody wise enough To find out all that is in it, For he would be thinking of love Till the stars had run away And the shadows eaten the moon. Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny, One cannot begin it too soon.

*
One cannot begin to love too soon--conversely, one should not love too late or in life's demise. That waiting for the "right time," or the "right person" to love, what are these but the cries or sighs of an unready, even tired, heart? One becomes ready only when one begins to understand love slowly (or again), and one understands love progressively when one, simply, performs the act of love. Love, like mos…