Skip to main content

Children and Fools






for myself
in memory of July 15, 2006



When I was teaching philosophy, I would always have my students read Karl Jasper's "What is Philosophy?" from his Way to Wisdom, a collection of the twelve public lectures he gave on radio in 1950. I found the lecture straightforward, easy to read and yet comprehensive enough for an introductory taste of what philosophy is for students who are basically taking a philosophy course for the first time.

As was my sin during the first years of teaching, I would struggle with the whole text with my students, trying to leave no room for something undigested or an insight left unread. Though it was time-consuming, I basically covered and discussed every part of the short lecture. But there was one part I would always leave hanging because I couldn't understand it enough to try to explain it; so I just breeze through or touch on it. It was the part where Jaspers discusses the sources of philosophy--where they can be implicitly found in our everyday experiences--showing that we already have an idea of what philosophy is because we already do it even without knowing.

After discussing how spontaneous philosophy can be found in children, with the bizarre questions they ask and their inexhaustible curiosity, Jaspers, who was also a psychologist aside from being a philosopher, goes on to locate such spontaneous philosophy in those who were insane. I quote below the whole paragraph:

Spontaneous philosophy is found not only in children but also in the insane. Sometimes--rarely--the veils of occlusion seem to part and penetrating truths are manifested. The beginning of certain mental disorders if often distinguished by shattering metaphysical revelations, though they are usually formulated in terms that cannot achieve significance: exceptions are such cases as Holderlin and Van Gogh. But anyone witnessing these revelations cannot help feeling that the mists in which we ordinarily live our lives have been torn asunder. And many sane people have, in awakening from sleep, experienced strangely revealing insights which vanish with full wakefulness, leaving behind them only the impression that they can never be recaptured. There is profound meaning in the saying that children and fools tell the truth. But the creative originality to which we owe great philosophical ideas is not to be sought here but among those great minds--and in all history there have been only a few of them--who preserve their candour and independence.
This paragraph seemed opaque to me at that time. I just couldn't understand it enough to speak about it; for I only speak about certain points, say, of a text, if I could give examples of it in order to make it more understandable. Just repeating or paraphrasing the text would be useless. As a rule, I am only able to explain a thing if I myself have an experience of it, an inkling of it as seen in real life (and this is what an example really is).

So I just pick up the familiar saying that children and fools tell the truth and explain why: because they speak of what they see and they have no reason to lie. I throw in another cliche which says that there is a fine line dividing genius and madness and say that the philosopher stations himself on that line. Then I give Nietzsche as an example who was a genius but crossed the line towards insanity before he died. The main point I left with the students, partly to attract them into thinking that philosophy ain't that boring, was that the truth which the philosopher seeks is something larger than him; that, like the man who leaves Plato's cave for the first time, truth's sun can blind you. And this is the reason why Plato rhetorically asks Glaucon that if such a man were to go back to the cave after coming from the light, stumbling his way in the dark, "would he not look ridiculous?" (The Republic VII, 517). I tell them finally that this is the price that the seeker of truth would have to pay--that he may look like a madman.

Okay, so I admit I do a lot of explaining on that part unlike what I said before. But you see, that was all conceptual and a bait I use to entice the students, to attract them, to invite them; it was a pedagogical tool: to say that there is danger in what we are doing. I do not know if the "trick" works; but I do know at least that, based on their eyes wide open and wondering smiles, they are at least entertained.

But little did I know that I would be the one who would fall for the trick. Little did I know that I would go through the eye of danger and be thought of as "ridiculous." I would experience first hand what had puzzled me in Jasper's words. And it was not at all entertaining.

Just the same, let me tell you what I saw.

* * *

To be continued.

Insane-Clone by Jan Ekmann




Comments

  1. well, maochi, it worked. my students (your students) kept referring back to it until the final exams of the second semester even if i did not discuss and say anything about the cave. it did leave an imprint on them, maochi, and that's a laurel leaf on you as their teacher for only a short time--something teachers wish they can accomplish at least in the two sems thay have with their students. i thought you ought to know that although this is not probably the main point of your entry.

    see you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fields of Amorsolo

The first National Artist in Philippine history, referred to warmly as the “Grand Old Man of Philippine Art,” Fernando Amorsolo (1892–1972) still stands today as a looming figure in Philippine art responsible for being one of the artists who helped define what we up to now visually imagine as essentially Filipino. The images of rural life, of golden fields below clear blue, blue skies; the smiles of farmers which diminish their weariness as they plant, harvest, and winnow rice;most especially the iconic figure of the Filipina maiden working in the fields—the beloved dalagang bukid--; these, I believe, even after generations of Filipino painters since Amorsolo, have remained in our hearts and memory. Amorsolo did what great masters do for their country: bestow upon it its own icons, represent its native beauty, that is, to give its people and lands an identity and a face. There are, however, as many intentions for art as there are works of art. And these intentions will always remain in…

Without Why (The Rose) II

Lifetime is a child at play; moving pieces in a game.
Kingship belongs to the child.

Heraclitus, Fragment 52


The child at play never asks itself why it plays. The child just plays; and if it could, it will play as long as possible, it will play throughout its life. See its delight and witness its smile.

If it would never go hungry or if the sun would never set it too will never leave its playmates and playthings. Time flies at play because it stops or suspends time. Time -- as we grownups only know too well -- is the culprit for order, schedules and priorities; yet for the child, there is no time, there is only bottomless play. It is we who impose that this or that should be done at this or that time. We stop the absurd and supposedly endless play ("He does nothing but play") because we insist that discipline, order and priorities be instilled in the child at an early age ("He needs to learn other things beside playing"). So that the child will become like us one da…

A Love Sooner than Later

BROWN PENNY William Butler YeatsI whispered, 'I am too young,' And then, 'I am old enough'; Wherefore I threw a penny To find out if I might love. 'Go and love, go and love, young man, If the lady be young and fair.' Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny, I am looped in the loops of her hair. O love is the crooked thing, There is nobody wise enough To find out all that is in it, For he would be thinking of love Till the stars had run away And the shadows eaten the moon. Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny, One cannot begin it too soon.

*
One cannot begin to love too soon--conversely, one should not love too late or in life's demise. That waiting for the "right time," or the "right person" to love, what are these but the cries or sighs of an unready, even tired, heart? One becomes ready only when one begins to understand love slowly (or again), and one understands love progressively when one, simply, performs the act of love. Love, like mos…