Skip to main content

Do It Yourself Christmas Kit





Christmas is here. Not yet, really, but I will it so. There are occasions that you cannot force to come before schedule--New Year, Lent, All Soul's Day, your birthday--and to do so will just be plain silly. But Christmas oh! you sure can.  It has been frequently said that our country has the longest yuletide season. We begin hearing carols by September. We see obsessive compulsives doing their shopping in October (or are they just smart or scrimping, taking advantage of the end of October sales?). Christmas trees are put up early November after the days devoted to the dead and saints and Halloween, which is always an all too human transition: from the grave to the cradle. (Death cannot stay in our minds longer than bearable.) And the holidays do not end after Christmas but the day before the first working or school day. We double Germans and their Octoberfest easily.

I have willingly submitted myself to joining the Christmas parade. Even if the spirit has not really possessed me yet, I decided to start doing the many errands and responsibilities the season requires from us. First and easiest of all is Christmas shopping. I have been going to the malls the past two Sunday nights (Eastwood and Trinoma). I find it rather convenient: the shopping centers are open till 11, there are relatively fewer people (thus more parking) compared to weekdays and Saturdays, and I also try to make Sunday night a kind of pilgrimage of the self. I'd go out alone on Mondays before, but since there never seems to be an end to the work as of late, I thought I'd shift that to Sunday, when I usually just rested, read, or went out for a drink by my lonesome or with a friend to bless the week to come.

I also buy a Christmas CD or two every December. Last night, feeling twice as Christmassy as before, I purchased two, one OPM (for the car) and an English compilation (for the house). The local CD I played on the way home.

What I haven't done yet, but plan on doing so: buy Poinsettias. They always look beautiful in the garden or in the living room under the warm embrace of soft Christmas lights.



One lesson though: forcing yourself to feel something, like wanting to be happy, can really become expensive. But the way I see it the season gives me a reason, an excuse, to give. At least that's what I tell myself when I collate the receipts. So I've stopped doing that. Can't wait for Sunday to come. Hoping Shangrila or Power Plant also close late.

*

The reason I've decided to rush the arrival of Christmas is I've been in a funk as of late. Many things are happening now (and don't they always come at the end of the year?). I don't know if I am escaping some really absurd events and deep emotions I have. But no matter: we do what makes us go by whether it's a trip to the mall or wrapping presents, making lists or eating ham, anticipating Christmas parties or writing seasonal essays.

I've always been weakest during this season, though by sheer will and effort I've become better the past few year in confronting the sadness Christmas whispers with colder nights and undeserved gifts. Christmas is in our hearts, goes a song from my newly purchased album. The trouble is if you've a darkening heart. The problem is if there is silence in your soul. Darkness is the condition of the possibility, however, for the lights of the season to brightly shine like celestial stars in the night. Carols require that our hearts be still to hear the trumpets of heaven sing the gloria.

If you want Christmas, if you want happiness, nothing can prepare the manger for hope better than sad hearts which only wish that darkness end.
 

 

Comments

  1. Anonymous12/07/2011

    Volunteer! There are many opportunities to make kids happy this Christmas. I believe this season really is for them. The way their faces light up is better than all the lights along Ayala Ave combined. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. " . . . better than all the lights along Ayala Ave"--that's beautiful, and true. That's an idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fields of Amorsolo

The first National Artist in Philippine history, referred to warmly as the “Grand Old Man of Philippine Art,” Fernando Amorsolo (1892–1972) still stands today as a looming figure in Philippine art responsible for being one of the artists who helped define what we up to now visually imagine as essentially Filipino. The images of rural life, of golden fields below clear blue, blue skies; the smiles of farmers which diminish their weariness as they plant, harvest, and winnow rice;most especially the iconic figure of the Filipina maiden working in the fields—the beloved dalagang bukid--; these, I believe, even after generations of Filipino painters since Amorsolo, have remained in our hearts and memory. Amorsolo did what great masters do for their country: bestow upon it its own icons, represent its native beauty, that is, to give its people and lands an identity and a face. There are, however, as many intentions for art as there are works of art. And these intentions will always remain in…

[Payapang Daigdig]

Written by Pat Nogoy, S.J.

Payapang Daigdig Felipe de Leon, Sr. 
Ang gabi'y payapa Lahat ay tahimik  Pati mga tala      Sa bughaw na langit 

Kay hinhin ng hangin Waring umiibig          Sa kapayapaan          Ng buong daigdig     
Payapang panahon    Ay diwa ng buhay Biyaya ng Diyos       Sa sangkatauhan
Ang gabi'y payapa Lahat ay tahimik Pati mga tala Sa bughaw na langit  
Pati mga tala           Sa bughaw na langit


The gift delivers Being/being Jean Luc Marion

There is something about the night.
The blanket of darkness hovering the other half of the day sparks ambivalence. Everything is the same in darkness—fear, joy, pain, triumph, doubt, glory, sorrow. Identities recede unto the vast anonymity. There is a pervading anxiety where existence slips into nothingness. One is never certain what to make out of darkness; maybe that is why the night shakes us because we never know. One cannot avoid imagining a something that is greater, higher, mightier, (even sinister) that lurks (hence the power of ghos…

A Love Sooner than Later

BROWN PENNY William Butler YeatsI whispered, 'I am too young,' And then, 'I am old enough'; Wherefore I threw a penny To find out if I might love. 'Go and love, go and love, young man, If the lady be young and fair.' Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny, I am looped in the loops of her hair. O love is the crooked thing, There is nobody wise enough To find out all that is in it, For he would be thinking of love Till the stars had run away And the shadows eaten the moon. Ah, penny, brown penny, brown penny, One cannot begin it too soon.

*
One cannot begin to love too soon--conversely, one should not love too late or in life's demise. That waiting for the "right time," or the "right person" to love, what are these but the cries or sighs of an unready, even tired, heart? One becomes ready only when one begins to understand love slowly (or again), and one understands love progressively when one, simply, performs the act of love. Love, like mos…